Turkey | Cappadocia | Göreme

Having sated, at least for the time being, my interest in Seljuq architecture, I wandered off to the town of Göreme, thirty-two miles to the west of Kayseri. To get there I took the city bus to the Kayseri airport, and then caught one of the many, many shuttle buses to Göreme and nearby towns. Including myself there were twelve people on my shuttle bus. Eleven of them were from China. For a second I thought I was back in Beijing. The bus took about forty-five minutes to get to Göreme. A ticket cost 20 lira ($6.65)

Göreme is in the middle of a region famous for its phantasmagorical landscapes carved from volcanic rock, cave houses and hotels, old Greek churches, and balloon rides. Göreme reportedly has a permanent population of only 2,000, and it is safe to say almost everyone is somehow connected with tourism (I have been told that a lot of people who work here actually live in nearby villages). The town consists entirely of hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, carpet stores, gift shops, and other businesses catering to tourists. The streets are teeming with tourists from all over, but especially from China, England, and Germany. 
 Hotel were I am staying (click on photos for enlargements)
 View from the roof top terrace of my hotel
 View from the roof top terrace of my hotel
 Cave hotels near my hotel
 One of the famous “fairy chimneys” of Göreme and surrounding region. Many were hollowed out and served as homes for people; some are still inhabited. Notice the window near the top of this one. 
View from the ridge behind my hotel. Hundreds of people climb up here everyday to watch the sunrise and sunset. 
 View from the ridge behind my hotel. 
Balloon rides are, of course, one of the most famous attractions of Göreme. They start just before dawn and last throughout the early morning. Later is often gets too windy for them. 
 Balloons launching just before dawn
Balloon launching
Balloon gondola
 Balloons launching just before dawn
 Balloons launching just before dawn
 Balloon riders catching the rising sun. At one point I counted sixty-eight balloons in the sky.
Sun rising
 Balloons over Göreme
Of course I am tempted to take a balloon ride myself, but they are not cheap: anywhere from $150 to $200 an hour. For the moment I have decided to pass. But I might change my mind. I would hate to think that one day, when I end up on my death bed, my final thought in this current incarnation might be, “Why oh why didn’t I take that balloon ride in Göreme?”
Balloons over Göreme

Popular posts from this blog

Turkey | Nusaybin | Church of St. Jacob | School of Nisibis

Turkmenistan | Tagtabazar | Yekedeshik Cave Complex | Part 2

Turkmenistan | Gurganj–Konye Urgench | Temür Qutlugh Minaret